“And even this heart of mine has something artificial. The dancers have sewn it into a bag of pink satin, pink satin slightly faded, like their dancing shoes.”
1. Your energy goes where you send it.
When you push all your energy to the tips of your limbs and beyond, your extension changes- grows. Likewise, when you push all your energy into a thought or action, it transforms.
2. If it doesn’t hurt, you’re probably not doing something right.
As my teacher so lovingly puts it, pain is beauty.
3. You can look weightless even though you’re actually holding all your shit on your toes.
At the barre as in real life, strength looks beautiful.
4. When you check yourself, you correct yourself.
You are your own best critic. You can check your mistakes in a healthy, forgiving way and strive to be the best you. At the barre I have to constantly correct my posture, position, arms, everything! In life I check my spirit, actions, & words.
5. Finding your center can make you look beautiful, literally.
Balance is hot. Symmetry is aesthetic.
6. Hard work and sweat are glamorous.
There is always something to be admired about pushing your limits, or just pushing out of a certain comfort zone. We were born to be adventurers, explorers, captains, dancers, artists….
7. Cardigans will always look super cute, regardless of circumstance.
8. It’s never to late to achieve the impossible. Honestly, if anything is almost impossible it’s classical ballet.
Don’t give up, just because something is hard.
9. You look beautiful surrounded by mirrors.
Actually you look beautiful all the time, and mirrors can only multiply your light.
10. You’re much taller than you thought you were. Relevé.